Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Week Seven:

Considering it’s the middle of the week, I feel like I’m way behind on this post. This weekend was particularly busy and with the start of classes, somehow I have managed to fill my days to the brim, often with last minute plans that go pretty late. That’s one cultural note, the tendency to stay out late at cafés doesn’t really end with Ramadan; things often stay that way year around.

So last week was my final week at the Embassy, working in the MAP (Military Assistance Program) office. It was definitely an educational time working in the Embassy, but honestly, I’m glad to be starting classes now and glad to be able to branch out and work closer with Rotary here in Amman. Most of the week at the Embassy was given to tying up my project and saying thank you to the people who helped me navigate some of the difficulties of establishing myself here in Jordan. I also took advantage of the decrease in my responsibilities to take one day to help out an archeologist living here at ACOR, and drive him down to a dig site to do inventory on the summer’s dig collection. Having a car, which I’m authorized to have, being connected to the military, is it allows a lot of freedom, as well as gives me the opportunity to help others out with transportation. It was also lucky that I came along to the dig site because the inventory ended up being more intensive than had originally been planned; at one point I ended up crawling through a window just to access the pottery. Overall, it was a very informative trip and I learned a lot about the world of archeology, which is pretty diverse and can actually be very demanding.

This weekend, as I mentioned, was also very busy. At the last minute I jumped on with a group going to a famous “eco-tourism” site called Wadi Mujib. Wadi Mujib is essentially a canyon cut into the Jordanian landscape by a river. The government of Jordan has recognized the inherent environmental value of this unique area and thus has sought to preserve its character, while still offering the opportunity for tourists and Jordanians alike to explore its beauty. So the area is now protected under a nature area reserve system, with this one naturally being called the Wadi Mujib Nature Reserve. The park has a primary entrance and there are a number of guided tours that take hikers through the mountains in the area as well as through the river itself. My group took the route that goes up (very steeply!) from the Dead Sea, into the mountains, travels along a path through what looks almost like a lunar landscape, and then drops down into the Wadi itself. Then the path takes you along and into the river. The river isn’t very deep, but it can be fast moving (and sometimes dangerous). Finally, our route culminated in a rappel down a waterfall, which was very cool. On a side note, if you’re ever wondering between a grocery bag and a waterfall who will win in a fight, I’d recommend betting on the waterfall… unfortunately I bet the opposite way and now my poor Jordanian cellphone has had to pay the price. I have yet to get a new one because I’m still in mourning for the last one.

The next day (again last minute) I jumped on with a group holding an end of the summer party for a group of Iraqi refugee children. The children had spent the summer with a program, doing art projects, music, and learning English. The kids’ ages varied between as young as 3 and as old as 14. The group that organized the party is run by an American lady named Sasha Crowe and an Iraqi gentleman named Ghazwan. The party itself was fascinating to see because it put in stark relief the many things we share and some of the differences across our cultures. A difference, for example, was that the party was opened with a short section from the Qur’an, read by one of the students. It was impressive to watch because recitation of the Qur’an (or iqra’) requires study, training, and practice, due to linguistic differences between Qur’anic Arabic and spoken Arabic, and due to the poetic construction of the Qur’an. Despite the difference in that it was a Qur’an being used to open the meeting, it did remind me of many gatherings in the U.S., which are often opened with a prayer. The kids were fun to watch because they were just typical kids, playing games, some dancing to music, and getting their faces painted. They all got prizes at the end, for their artwork and for staying with the program. It was fun to watch the parents too, because it was so like a social gathering at a school open house, with kids running around and parents socializing, some keeping an eye on their kids and some not (as tends to happen at open houses). Overall, it was a really good experience and I’m glad to have been able to take part.















That’s pretty much it for now. I hope this entry was fun and informative, and as always, thank you for your interest!

Respectfully,

Brennan Roorda

1 comment:

  1. Brennan -- Thanks for keeping us up to date with your journey. Know that we ARE here, sharing the adventure, rooting for you. -- Karen B

    ReplyDelete